Blueberries

January is somewhat of a busy month for my family.  My growing up family, that is:
My sister's birthday is the 1st, my father and best college friend on the 11th, mine is the 23rd, our dog is the 12th, my cousin and his father on the 21st...  It's one of the few months I remember ALL the special dates for those special people!  (The second busiest month is June.)

I came across a funny article from a school friend (Darcie) on FB.  It's called "40 Effed Up Things About Being 40."  You can find it HERE.

Most of them (No, not all of them thankfully) I can related to on a daily basis.  I am glad to say they didn't all apply.  I found the funniest one to be #5, #6, #7 and #14.  Thankfully, #31 doesn't apply to me because I CAN touch my toes.  But in reality...where has it all gone?  I agree that the 30's zoomed by and seem like a blur.  Oh that's right, we were busy raising kids.  That'll do it!

On the flip side, here's an article of "Things I Can Do at 40 That I Couldn't Do When I Was 20."  Several I could relate to.  #32 is a biggie for me...I hate drama.  There were also many of those on the list that might stand out to some, but are common to me being a military spouse and our constant moving.  (Talk to strangers, adjust to changes, say "no" to stuff, and so forth).

I do pride myself that I can make decent meals. I'm proud to say that in the past 7 days, I have cooked supper 5 of those (and one night was leftovers).  I made my mother's sweet and sour chicken 2 nights ago.  I think it's been almost a year since I made it.  The kids weren't fond of it last time.  But this time around it was a roaring success with my daughter.  I was glowing inside!  I also made my grandmother's spaghetti pie.  Everyone liked that!  I'll post those recipes below.

I do like to try new things.  Once again, I never am a slave to the kitchen. So if it's a meal that will take more than 30 minutes (crock pots don't count) of me standing there and doing things, then it won't be put on my table.  Here is a photo of the blueberry dessert I made last weekend for our neighbor's cookout.  It's been popular with strawberries, but I didn't have any on hand and I had blueberry pie filling instead.  I also didn't have cream cheese on hand, so I substituted yogurt and cool whip:



It was super easy.  And I used my new Polish pottery teapot recently with Annette when she visited last week. Isn't it cute??!
Here's the recipe:

Crushed pretzels (more or less depending on the size of your dish)
1 cup yogurt (I prefer vanilla flavor)
2 cups cool whip (I used lite)
One can blueberry pie filling.

Layer the pretzels first.  Mix yogurt and cool whip together.  Again, add more if you have a larger than 8x8 dish.  Lastly layer the pie filling on top.  Chill!

This is NOT as good the second day as the pretzels get super soggy.  But it was a nice and light dish.  It might be more to your liking to add 1 Tbsp sugar to the yogurt/cool whip.   But I tried to keep it healthy.  Yeah, right, with pie filling?  Ok, you could add REAL blueberries all over the top and knock off several calories.  Your choice.

Here's a side view:

See?  Simple!

I do have to share a quick funny story about blueberries.  My college roomie, Carol, in our first year at college in the dorms suffered a tragic restless night.  I sat up in the middle of the night and shouted "BLUEBERRIES" and laid back down.  What was that about?  I'll never know...I think she's scarred for life!

Anyone want more recipes?  Sweet and sour chicken?  Spaghetti pie?  I am taking requests.

If you have a google account, please click FOLLOW on the right hand side or leave a comment requesting as such.  Share this page with a friend please!

Thanks for stopping by!  The laundry monster is calling my name.  Drat!

P.S. My craft room is almost unpacked!  Woot woot!


Comments