Gotta Love It

Wednesday of this past week was a special day.  I had two friends over that were invited (three showed up), and we had blueberry scones with lemon curd (see previous blog), Lady Grey tea, Earl Grey tea, chicken salad sandwiches and homemade bread complete with fancy teapots and teacups/saucers.  I'm still working on stocking my kitchen with the basics from our move back over the pond.  I needed a bread recipe with minimal ingredients since my husband used all my eggs up and my daughter used up all my all-purpose flour in making me breakfast last Saturday for my birthday breakfast.  Loved it!

Below is a photo of my bread.  I think it turned out great!  It was a success too.  A bit too crumbly to use with the chicken salad, but a nice addition with Annette's pasta salad and my chicken salad.  Gotta love it!


The recipe was found through Pinterest (gotta love it!) and you can see it by clicking HERE.  It's a fun website called "Lavender and Lovage" (love the name).

Of course, I had to put my own twist on the recipe that only calls for three ingredients (self-rising flour, milk and margarine/vegetable shortening).  I added on top oats, basil, poppy seeds, and flax seeds.  What a saving grace it was to find the recipe.

I mentioned a third visitor to our tea/craft day.  Below is a picture of him/her:


Being in a new state, it's all about learning what is in your environment.  We've been warned of black bears (don't love that) in our neighborhood, fire ants, snakes, tiny frogs, and lizards.  This little guy must have been chasing a bug because I did not invite it to the party.  Thankfully, he's between the screen and glass.  Gotta love that it wasn't in my house!  Been there, done that in Turkey.  Ick! 

I mentioned above a chicken salad sandwich spread.  This far surpassed my expectations as I'm used to making tuna salad.  I used two recipes (one HERE and another HERE) for referencing.  I combined some of the ingredients and came up with this recipe below.  I must say the next day I had zero issues eating the leftovers and looked quite forward to it when lunch time came around!  And the apples weren't brown at all the next day either (love it!)


Dayna's Chicken Salad Extraordinaire:

2 cans chicken breast (find in the canned tuna section)
1/2 - 3/4 C Mayo (low fat if you prefer), more or less to achieve desired thickness/moisture content
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 medium apple diced (not peeled)*
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 C craisins
Fresh parsley (2 Tbsp)
Green onion (3 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp mustard powder
Almonds (optional)
*halved grapes can be used in place if you prefer

Chop and dice all solid ingredients except craisins, add all liquids, stir well in a bowl.  Serve chilled.

Check back soon to see the crafts we made...and I do love it that you stopped by!




Comments