Growing up in the 70's

I had a good laugh yesterday and jog down memory lane.  It was the title of an article online that got me - and turned me off a little so I had to click on the link and see just for myself what the information was about.

Title:  Children of the 1970's should all be dead.

What?  Yes, you read that right.  But after clicking on the link and reading the article, I was smiling and remembering.  
Growing up in the 70's was great.  Living off base here in England, it's not law to wear a helmet.  When my kids ride their bikes, they don't wear helmets.  I'm ok with that.  Alternatively, my kids aren't riding on the main roads or carriageways (like other brave locals).  They are crossing trails, in open fields...living life.  

I am a believer in seat belts.  Although, I do recall sitting in the back seat of my mother's 1967 yellow mustang with no seatbelt (and up front with a lap-only belt).  I also remember the time she offered to give a ride to a stranger (female) with a load of groceries and a weary look.  The way I see it, being a child of the 70's taught me more than how to wear knee-high socks and self-entertain digging in the dirt.

I learned how to be safe.  Yes, metal from those playground slides got really hot in that Kansas sun, but so does the seat belt buckle and it can leave a welt if one is not careful.  Look 3 ways before crossing the street:  look left, then right, then left again (unless you live in England like we currently do and you start with the right).  You even do this when you hop off your bicycle to cross the road - yes I make my kids do this still.  I also learned about strangers.  Of course, be aware of stranger danger.  But also, use your good judgement.  That woman stranded on the side of the road pulling a stroller out of the trunk is more than likely a safe bet.

Sacrifices.  Today's kids might not ever fully appreciate their parents and where their parents came from.  They get instant gratification from technology:  high speed internet, the latest technology gadgets wherever they go (phones, iPods, iPad minis, bluetooth, etc.)   Not everyone had air conditioning.  They survived with wading pools and popsicles (homemade in dixie cups with kool-aid and a popsicle sticks).  One of the hottest summers on Kansas record was also when we had just returned from a vacation in Florida.  Our air conditioning went out and of course the savings was pretty low from holiday fun.  Praise the Lord we had a basement and one window-unit air conditioner.  We made due. We survived - and I even had the flu during this heat wave.  My parents avoided as much as they could having to take out a bank loan.  Can today's world say they did that?  With cash-n-carries around every corner, bank loan offers in every newspaper, and loan sharks available at the click of a button, it's not hard to see why we're a society knee-deep in debt compared to the 70's.  In retrospect, my parents do regret not taking out a bank loan to purchase a new a/c for the house.  But it taught us more than how to grin and bear it.  Wonder what happened to that mustang?  My mother sacrificed her favorite car (and first ever self-paid-in-full big purchase) so I could start college.  

Maybe this article is spot on.  Are playgrounds these days too safe?  Are we not teaching our kids to learn how to make important judgement calls?  Are they not being as observant with their own eyes to make those decisions for their physical safety as they should?  Think about it.  Don't get me wrong, we need safety railings (Turkey castles and ruins didn't have any of these - it was a free-for-all), caution signs (don't smoke within 50 feet of the metal box), and seat belts/air bags.  I am grateful for all of these things.  But, I don't rely on them all for my safety.  I use my own noggin because I was trained to use it.  I can only hope my kids have more of this than I sometimes give them credit for.

The author of the first mentioned article above has quite the entertaining blog.  Aside from a few curse words, it's a good read.  

Ok, I've rambled on long enough.  I'm a child of the 70's and am proud of it.
;)

Here is the birthday card I made my mother.  A card club member inspired me to make this from her swap.


When you pull up on the flowers, you have room for a message.  On the back of the message, I put in a gift card to Red Lobster (and drooled the while way home from the BX on base thinking about eating there)...




Comments