Support Snail Mail!

Sometimes you just can't pass up a good deal.  When I went stateside this past summer, I had to hit up Michael's. I found white cards with an embossing on them...a pack of 6 WITH envelopes for $1.00!  Hindsight says I should have purchased more.

Here are some creations I made with 3 of those cards:



The final card pictured below is for my mother's good college friend.  Her birthday is in a couple of weeks. She's always been so good to send my kids birthday and holiday cards all throughout the year.  I sent her card off to her yesterday along with about 20 decorated blank cards for her to use at her disposal.  


Snail mail is a lost art.  Yes, I call it an art.  My children know how to address an envelope, write a letter in cursive, and where to put the stamp.  I'd bet money on it that 50% of my kids' classmates cannot say the same.  Don't get me wrong... I love email, typing, blogging, and technology.  I still send Christmas cards each year (and if there's a news snip-it in there, it's typed).  But they are all hand signed.  

Cursive handwriting can do more than just show a little about one's personality.  It's too bad that classrooms are doing away with it.  (With the exception of this state).

I have been keeping busy with substitute teaching almost 5 days a week.  I've worked with 4 year olds on up to 3rd graders.  It's amazing their lack of ability to SIT STILL and KEEP QUIET.  Yes, some of it is on ADHD, etc., but I think these kids do not have enough structure in their life.  They don't know how to sit still unless they're watching technology (a movie or clip on the smartboard).  And most importantly, they don't have respect for authority.  I am dumbfounded on the lack of respect today's kids have for grown ups.  The attention span is less and the following of directions is slim.  It's so sad!  I feel for these kids who probably go home and sit down in front of a TV or computer screen to "be entertained."  Their fine and gross motor skills are suffering.  I really found this article to be helpful to me to apply when I'm in the classroom.

The youth today don't even know where to start to write a letter, let alone have hardly received any handwritten mail by someone under the age of 50+.

So sit down, focus, and send that person you care about a birthday card, or a thank you card, or a get well soon card.  Everyone loves mail (letters, not bills)!!  

And if you let them know it's on its way via the snail route, then they have something to look forward to and will be working on their patience as well.  It really does take a while for that "snail" to cross the ocean to get to us!  We have to wait close to 2 weeks for our letters from stateside family.



Comments

  1. I love this post. I agree that we don't support snail mail enough. When my girls got home from school today, I had them write a letter to their Granny. I had them address the envelope and put the stamp on it. I know this will make my mother's day when she receives their letter. Thank you for the reminder that we still need to use snail mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi - I know their Granny will cherish her letters from the girls! Yeah for you and your daughters!!

      Delete

Post a Comment